Director of Total Rewards - Hybrid/Remote in MN
Experience the fun of working in the entertainment industry at Canterbury Park - home to live horse racing every summer and year round action in our Card Casino, Racebook and Expo Center.
Great Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salaries and benefits including a free health insurance option as well as medical/dental/vision plans, life, disability and accident insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid Time Off and Voluntary Time Off
- Floating Holidays for team members to use for those days and holidays that matter the most
- Premium Paid Days
- Flexible work hours (varies by department and job function)
- Free Live Racing admission
- Special Events perks and discounts
- Variety of local & Canterbury Park discounts
- Training and development opportunities
- College Savings Plan
This position is responsible for managing and administering all benefits and compensation programs for the Company, including health & welfare, retirement and voluntary benefits as well as overseeing the payroll and HRIS function. Responsible for supporting the Companies mission, vision, and values and adheres to the Canterbury Way by focusing on our core values of family, fun, integrity, and community.
This position will have the opportunity to work hybrid/remote in MN.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead by example.
- Responsible for maintaining a high degree of hospitality, as well as a positive and professional demeanor at all times.
- Creates high levels of morale, fosters teamwork, inspires collaboration, delegates effectively and coaches and mentors direct reports for growth opportunities.
- Manages all aspects of the payroll process ensuring timely, accurate and effective processing of payroll disbursements, while ensuring compliance with all federal, state and local tax regulations and requirements, as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Oversee functions of the human capital management system, providing support, training, and counsel including researching and resolving HCM issues and performing scheduled activities.
- Stay abreast of changing federal and state regulations affecting all employment laws including but not limited to payroll, benefits, and compensation and ensure policies align with current regulations.
- Assist in the design, analysis, and administration of compensation programs for the Company and ensures employee offerings remain competitive and attractive.
- This role ensures that rewards and recognition programs align with retention and recruiting goals, champions a culture of wellness across the firm, and leads benefit program design to effectively to boost the employee value proposition.
- Lead the execution of the company's leave programs including FMLA and the integration of state specific and company provided benefits.
- Acts as administrator for Canterbury's benefits package, 401K program and health and welfare programs and manages third-party HR vendors for these programs.
- Ensures compliance with all State and Federal employment laws including FMLA, ADA, OSHA, FLSA, and all other applicable regulations.
- Responsible for following all procedures and/or controls in area of responsibility.
- Responsible for filing 5500's for all Benefit Plans under the direction of the Vice President of Human Resources.
- Stay abreast of changing federal and state employee benefit and compensation regulations and ensure policies align with current regulations.
- Participate in and analyze surveys to ensure appropriate compensation across the Company.
- Provide leadership guidance and mentoring by counseling all levels of management on interpretation of company policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement solutions for organizational challenges by leading/coaching others through use of HR technology.
- Participate in and promote Fun & GAMES customer service program.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Payroll & Benefits Coordinator
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or a related field, and 7-10 + years of progressive Human Resources experience; OR any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Working knowledge of federal and/or state regulations affecting the administration of benefit and retirement plans, payroll, and general employment.
- Working knowledge of federal and/or state wage and hour regulations and incentive-based compensation programs.
- Ability to interface and communicate effectively with all level of team members, managers, vendors, consultants and legal advisors.
- Previous management experience with HR, as well as proven conflict resolution skills.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills required.
- Ability to adapt easily to change and to lead others through change in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to self-motivate/direct as well as motivate team to achieve department and company objectives.
- Must have a service-oriented, forward thinking, strategic and solution-minded mindset.
- Data-driven and analytical thinker who can communicate concepts effectively.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication, customer service, and organizational skills.
- Requires strong computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher and PowerPoint).
- Must be able to attain a Minnesota Racing Commission (MRC) license.
- Canterbury Park conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check and verification of work history.
- PHR/SPHR or SHRM-HR/SHRM/SPHR certification
- CPP certification
- CEBS certification
- Master's Degree
- Previous experience working in the hospitality/gaming industry a plus.
- Direct experience with UKG HCM software.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and requires frequent wrist and hand use.
- Must be able to interact with management and co-workers in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Must be available to work occasional nights and weekends as needed for training purposes and various employee programs and/or events.
Canterbury Park is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer